Sunday, September 15, 2013

Loaded Cauliflower Soup

Rain, rain, and rain. We have had so much rain lately! I love the rain, except that it forces my kids to play inside all day which makes a much bigger mess. Mess = memories so it's all good, right? That's what I'll tell myself anyways. The good thing about this weather is the soup! And bread! And desserts! I am always in the mood for these things when the weather turns colder.

I'm an Idaho girl so I absolutely love potato soups. But I'm also trying to eat a little healthier to make room for all those breads and desserts so I thought I would try this soup out. I had the rough draft of the recipe in my head for the last couple of weeks so when I got two heads of cauliflower from Bountiful Baskets, I knew the time was right. And fortunately I had a huge group of gals to try it out on from my neighborhood. They loved it! Awww, success. I love when my recipes get the thumbs up.


Loaded Cauliflower Soup

  • 1 lb bacon
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1-2 heads cauliflower (I used 1 1/2 large heads)
  • 2 quarts vegetable broth
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 - 1 cup heavy cream (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp chives
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Salt and pepper

Preparation Instructions

Start by chopping bacon into 1/2 inch pieces. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, sauté bacon until crispy. Spoon bacon onto a paper towel covered plate and pour out most of the bacon fat into a bowl to discard. Save about two tablespoons of fat in pot.
While bacon is rendering, chop onions, carrots, and celery finely. After removing bacon and excess fat from pot, add onion and saute for a couple minutes until soft. Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes. Chop cauliflower pretty small. Don't  worry about making nice florets, just a good rough chop, discarding the green leaves and the core. Add cauliflower and stir to combine.
Cover and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes. Pour in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute. Whisk in milk and cook until thickened. Add shredded cheese and mix until smooth.
Remove from heat. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add heavy cream (optional), chives, bacon, and sour cream. Check seasoning and add salt or pepper.


Looking for more comforting soups? Look no further, here they are:
Leeky Potato and Chicken Soup
Tuscan Chicken Soup with Fall Veggies
Fiesta Lentil Soup
Potatoes and Leek Soup

Or try this Italian Oven Roasted Cauliflower.

7 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! Such a nice and healthier version too! Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cauliflower but I've never tried it in soup before. Pinning and can't wait to try! I'd be thrilled if you'd come on over to Pink Recipe Box and link up at Creative Wednesdays: http://pinkrecipebox.com/creative-wednesdays-with-pink-recipe-box-10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup sounds wonderful! I love cauliflower and usually roast it or make a cheesy casserole with it, but your soup sounds so good, I'm definitely going to make some cauliflower soup this fall now! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I have been eating so much cauliflower lately. I just added it to a soup last night. Looks like I've got a recipe for next week! Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love potato soup. I've seen recipes for mashed cauliflower so why not use it in soup instead of potato. I'll have to remember this next time I want soup. It sounds delicious. Saw this on saturday Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your recipe for Loaded Cauliflower Soup, and it was the #1 viewed link from last week’s Saturday Spotlight blog hop. It's been featured on this week’s blog hop which starts at 9pm EST tonight, and was PINed to my Pinterest page. Thanks so much for linking up! Looking forward to seeing what you have to share next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic cauliflower soup - a classic. Cheers

    PS I've got my very first ever giveaway running over at Carole's Chatter. Hope you stop by.

    ReplyDelete