Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Fiesta Lentil Soup

This is another quick and easy soup recipe that is sure to warm you up on a cold day.

When I cook, I look for ways to incorporate more nutrition. That is what I did with lentils in this recipe. Lentils are packed with fiber. Fiber makes you feel fuller quicker and thus you tend to eat less because you aren't as hungry.  This soup is a twist on taco soup and chili, check it out.

Fiesta Lentil Soup


1 can black beans
2 cans (14.5 oz) Mexican style stewed tomatoes
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 can corn
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
4 ribs of celery, chopped
1/2 cup lentils sorted and rinsed
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf

Combine everything into a pot*. Let it come to a boil for a few minutes then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving. I topped it off with green onions, sour cream, cheese, and tortillas chips.

*You could easily combine everything in the crockpot and let it cook for a few hours.

1 comment:

  1. I like lentil soup ( I make lentil chili) yours looks delish! Hugs

    ReplyDelete