Monday, October 29, 2012

Potatoes and Leek Soup

One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning is to go get my Bountiful Basket. I love seeing all the different fruits and veggies that I get to use in my cooking all through the week. In my basket a few weeks back we received leeks, sweet potatoes and a pluthera of other yummy produce. I decided to take a classic soup, Potato and Leek Soup, and put my own little spin on it. It was delicious! I still used mostly russet potatoes, but threw in a sweet potato (okay, a yam, but everyone uses them interchangeably) to give it more depth of flavor and a great color. My husband does not like sweet potatoes and he loved this soup, as did my kids and myself. If your totally opposed to sweet potatoes (or yams), by all means, use only russet, or new, or red potatoes. Whatever whim you wish to follow.


Potatoes and Leek Soup

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 large or 2 small leeks chopped, white & green parts only
1/2 c chopped yellow onion
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled & chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled & chopped
2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup milk
1/4 cup light sour cream
Salt & pepper
Chives for garnish
Crispy bacon for garnish if desired

In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, onions & potatoes then sauté for 3 minutes. Add the stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat heat, cover & simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Pureé the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Add the milk and sour cream. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer for 5 - 10 more minutes. Pureé again is you want it even creamier. Serve sprinkled with chives. I also drizzled in some cream.
To make crusty croutons: Slice up a baguette in 1/2 inch slices. Butter both sides of each slice generously with butter and fry in a non stick skillet or cast iron pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment