Monday, October 22, 2012

Super Moist Banana Bread

In honor of my grandmother that passed away just over a year ago, I am dedicating my first blog post to her and making one of my favorite recipes of hers. Strangely enough, I'm not sure I had ever tasted this until my sister compiled a collection of my grandma's best recipes and made a cookbook for my sisters and I. I knew I had to try it immediately because I had a bowl full of brown bananas on my counter it was noted at the bottom how moist it was. Very intriguing!

I absolutely love this bread. It takes about two hours to bake because it bakes at such a low temperature which makes my house smell divine for the entire day. Usually I bake it in a cake bunt pan, invert it onto a cake platter and serve it that way. It's very elegant for any type of brunch, breakfast or snack. Today I made it in a standard 9x5 loaf pan, a mini loaf pan and muffins so I could figure how long each one cooked for you.

Another amazing thing about this bread is that there is no dense dry crust. In fact crust would not even be a term I would use with bread, it is pure awesomeness! Seriously, it's my favorite part.



Super Moist Banana Bread
5 large or 6 small bananas
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup nuts or chocolate chips *optional
 Beat bananas until liquified. Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly. Cream sugar and shortening together in separate bowl. Add to banana mixture and beat thoroughly. Add flour, baking soda, salt and mix well. Stir in nuts or chocolate chips. Bake in two well greased loaf pans or one bunt pan. bake at 250° for 1 3/4-2 hours. Mine loaf pans were about 2 hours. Mini loafs took about 1 hour and muffins take about 45 minutes. To be honest, I preferred it in the loaf or mini loaf pans. It turned out much more moist. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I've never tried Grandma's banana bread recipe. I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never tried it before Joy wrote the cookbook up for us. It's really good!

      Delete