Monday, November 5, 2012

Lightened Up Pumpkin Muffins

I spent the entire weekend potty training. My house is a disaster, my kitchen especially, but we won! We now have two potty trained kids! I feel like a very successful mother and it has nothing to do with how good of a homemaker I am. Throughout this thoroughly exhausting weekend of bare bummed children we ate freezer meals, pizza and Kneaders. I didn't get around to cooking much but I did whip up some muffins!

I admit, I am somewhat of a muffin snob. I only really make muffins for breakfast. I don't want them too sweet, they're not cupcakes after all. I love when they are a vehicle for fruits or vegetables, it makes me feel like I'm getting in a serving at breakfast, however small.

While playing around with pumpkin muffin recipes for the last month I've altered every recipe I've tried to make it somewhat healthy and to my taste. Some have turned out dry, others too dense, one even spongy. 

This one is perfect! For me. Hopefully for you too. There's not too much sugar, only a small amount of oil, pumpkin (for my serving of vegetables), and just enough spice. Plus Greek yogurt! I think that's what makes this muffin so light. Most pumpkin breads and muffins are dense. Don't get me wrong, I love those too. But sometime for breakfast I don't want to be weighed down when I pop a dozen muffins into my mouth without even thinking (don't worry, they're mini).


Lightened Up Pumpkin Muffins
 
1 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 scant tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
15 oz pumpkin
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1/3 cup canola oil 
1/2 cup lowfat vanilla Greek yogurt

Preheat oven to 400°. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray. Mix flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together pumpkin, eggs, oil, and yogurt. Combine wet and dry ingredients until just blended. Spoon batter into muffin tins. I use baby spoons, they seem to be the perfect size. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Transfer muffins to rack to cool.  Makes 50 to 60 mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment