Who loves mac & cheese? Who loves grilled cheese? Me, me, me!! Why not put them together?! Well, that's just what I did with this meal. Two comfort foods combine for one extra comfy meal.
Grilled Mac & Cheese Sandwich
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup flour (you may need a little more depending on consistency)
- 1 c half and half
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups Colby & Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese
- 1 lb of Pasta (I used Rigatoni because I wanted a BIG fat noodle)
- Bread (I used french bread)
- Garlic Salt
- Cheese Slices
Makes about 10 grilled mac and cheese sandwiches
1. Cook and drain noodles. Set aside.
2. In a sauce pan add the butter and olive oil. Cook until the butter is melted.
3. Using a whisk, add the flour and whisk until there aren't any lumps and the mixture is smooth. While whisking, slowly add in the half and half and milk. Let the mixture simmer for about 4 minutes so that it can begin to thicken.
4. Add in the nutmeg, salt, and cheese. Stir until all of the cheese is melted.
3. Add noodles to cheese sauce and mix so that all of the noodles are covered in cheese.
4. Slice your french bread into thin slices, about 1/2 of an inch. Butter the side of each slice that will touch the frying pan. I also added a little garlic salt on top of the butter for flavor.
5. Now assembly your sandwich with a heaping amount of mac & cheese and 2 slices of cheese. Put in the frying pan and flip when each slide is golden brown.
Check it out, we were featured!